Job openings currently available:
Chief Financial Officer
The Community Foundation of the Ozarks (CFO) provides place-based philanthropic services for communities in southern Missouri through an extensive network of donors, affiliate foundations and nonprofit partners. The foundation helps build stronger communities through resource development and public leadership.
Founded in 1973, the CFO holds over $279 million in assets through some 3,500 charitable funds, ranking the foundation as the 72nd largest foundation in the annual Columbus Survey and also the 10th busiest foundation in transaction volume.
The CFO is anchored in Springfield, Missouri, the state’s third largest city and a regional hub with several universities, major healthcare systems, and a variety of recreational and cultural experiences. The foundation serves the population of Springfield and a large rural geography, granting easy proximity to beautiful natural resources, including well-known tourism and retiree destinations in Branson and Lake of the Ozarks. The CFO urban-rural diversity creates complex specific needs, as well as many opportunities for philanthropic leadership.
Community Foundation of the Ozarks is currently seeking an experienced financial professional to join its leadership team as the Chief Financial Officer. Responsibilities include financial and investment management, compliance and risk management, information technology and creative, cross-functional philanthropic services.
Additional duties include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for overall administration of all financial records including, but not limited to the general ledger, grants, gifts, investments, spending policy, administrative fees, payroll, and insurance.
- Oversee compliance of financial system and records to federal and state regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, Board policies, industry standards and other required standards.
- Devise and maintain a system of internal controls to facilitate the safeguarding of the Foundation’s assets.
- Oversee cash management to provide liquidity needed for grants and operations.
- Develop and deliver financial data and support to the other Foundation departments as needed.
- Create and provide financial reports to agencies as needed.
- Serve as the primary intermediary and liaison for the foundation’s OCIO and the managers of the Foundation’s investment pool.
- Ensure timely and efficient preparation of annual audited financial statements, 990 tax returns, and relevant Federal filings and industry standards.
- Oversee compliance matters relating to federal, state and local laws and national best practice standards, including requirements applying to Section 501(c)3 nonprofit public charities and those specific to community foundations.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Position Skills and Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business and a minimum of ten years of relevant experience, preferably in a nonprofit or foundation environment, is required. A minimum of ten years of managerial experience in leading a team and mentoring/coaching staff is required along with a knowledge of investments including portfolio construction and risk management. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license and prior community foundation experience is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in the areas of planning, financial management and operational oversight and have a complete understanding of operations related to non-profit organizations, preferably, community foundations. The ideal candidate will also have strong communication and leadership skills with the ability to think strategically.
This position includes a competitive benefit package including Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance as well as the option to participate in a 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan. Ten paid holidays are provided along with Vacation and Sick Leave.
Interested candidates may email a cover letter describing your interest in the position, including salary requirements, a resume and a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the position may also be directed to this email address.
Community Foundation of the Ozarks is a public foundation serving Ozarks communities in Missouri. The CFO is dedicated to working with its donors, nonprofit partners, and affiliated community foundations to enhance the quality of life in southern Missouri through resource development, community grantmaking, collaboration, and public leadership. Founded in 1973, the CFO has since grown to include 49 affiliate community foundations and more than 3,000 charitable funds.
The CFO is an equal opportunity employer.